Wednesday, November 17, 2010

handmade holidays #1: because it's never too early to start

saw something similar on totokaelo (okay, in honest truth, a blog linked to one of those social inspiration-saving sites with a picture from totokaelo), but I just don't have $300 for individual presents - birthday, holiday or otherwise. After all, I am still a student and living on loans. Oh, the high life!

So! Printed out some free peyote stitch graph paper, dug through my beads to find the colours I wanted to combine (or at least,the closest approximation I had on hand), and got to colouring that graph paper with markers until I made a design that I liked. Beaded this up over the weekend while too sick to do much else (handy, that!), then roughly affixed a thick piece of red leather to the back by stitching from the leather through the links of the chain and down through the edges of the beading. Does that make sense? I let the chain droop a bit below the patch because I liked that look, and affixed these solid brass drops.

Bada-bing, bada-boom!

Now, this is actually a birthday present, but I am in a SERIOUS holiday gift-making mood (too bad I still have two small seminar assignments, a presentation, and two papers to write before I'm done with the quarter, pah!), so I'm calling it the first post of this year's "Handmade Holidays" posts. I have SO MANY ideas this year - it's going to kill me when I run out of time! =)

But for now, optimism is the word. Bring on the cheer and the mistletoe. It's freezing in Seattle and I am psyched for the holidays!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

You did such an amazing job on this necklace! I've been eying the Lizzie Fortunato version for ages, but even if I had the money to afford it it would kill me to spend that much on a necklace. You've inspired me to get out my beads and give it a try too!

fleur_delicious said...

thanks, Jennifer! I'm sure you could pull off one of your own, too! =)

Anonymous said...

Wow these are very cute jewels.
Always one of my favorite jewelry-based holidays.So beautiful. I am amazed to go through your blog and find some unique designsstylish and super sweet.


_________________
Murano Glass