Sunday, October 16, 2011

a harvest classic: tomato sauce

with balsamic vinegar, red wine, and fresh garden basil - a great way to use up the last of the tomatoes before tearing out the final plants. We had several spaghetti dinners in September made with homemade sauce from homegrown tomatoes. I'd forgotten how simple spaghetti with bolognese can be - and how enticing, if you have four or five hours to let your tomatoes and wine and meat and onions ever so s-l-o-w-l-y simmer down to beautiful, deep, rich deliciousness.


This is like a shortcut to do the same again this winter. If you haven't canned tomatoes before, the only real trick is to make sure you add enough vinegar (with at least a 5% acidity level - my balsamic was 6%) or citric acid so that your acidity is at a safe level. Not sure about how much to add, or seeking recipes? I always rely on the USDA to tell me how to make sure my foods are safely packed. Find more information here. And happy harvest!

No comments: