Wednesday, July 3, 2013

the heat of summer



Inspired by this post, which I'd seen circulating on pinterest for a few weeks, I decided to try a fruit-and-habanero jam. I used 4 peaches, 4 black velvet apricots (that were a little wrinkly in the fridge), threw in a cup or so of quartered strawberries that were on the verge in the fridge. I cooked the fruits with maybe a half cup of water and a whole habanero. When the fruits were soft, I removed the habanero and added the zest and juice of one very large lemon before whirring this in my food processor. Why remove the chili? Well, the jam already had a pretty pronounced heat and spice, and I was concerned that any more would overpower the fruit.

I mixed 3 Tbl of Ball's low-sugar pectin with 1 cup of sugar and stirred it into the mass. I brought the jam to a boil and then canned and processed in a hot water bath for about 10 minutes.

I'm really really pleased with how it turned out. It's fruity, but with a bit of a burn - just enough to keep it interesting, not enough to drive a body away. I think these are getting earmarked for my spice-loving older brother!

Alright. Almost done with that dress. Can't wait to show you!

No comments: