Friday, December 6, 2013

handmade holidays: moon phase wrapping paper


I also used my moon phase lino block to make some homemade wrapping paper. I can't believe how expensive wrapping paper is these days! And it seems half the time you aren't even buying a big roll of it anymore, just two small sheets. I realize that wrapping paper is kind of wasteful ... so I keep trying to come up with ways to reuse things we have or to use recycled materials to make wrapping paper a little more eco-friendly. For this sheet, I rolled out some brown kraft paper and used drafting dots to affix it to my kitchen table. I made some faint guidelines with a straight edge and a pencil to help me keep the block straight as I printed. I used Speedball's Fabric Block Printing Ink for this. The ink can be used on paper, but it does take a while to dry, so I can only make one or two sheets at a time, and then I have to tape them up to the back of our utility room door to dry for a week. (Hm. I'm thinking I should probably hurry up and make some more so I can start mailing gifts next week. It's getting to be that time of year!).

It's very pretty, isn't it? I used this first sheet to wrap a gift for a family member and tied it up with a bit of deep hunter green satin ribbon, and I like the colours together very much.

No comments: