Thursday, April 3, 2008

afternoon snack


nothing much to show for myself - in creative terms, anyhow. It's been a busy week for school stuff. I've been reading a play a day for class or my thesis, and am simultaneously culling one of the texts for my thesis and preparing to begin writing again (either tonight - doubtful - or tomorrow).

I'm still working on that dress! Just slowly. Nearly, nearly done! Cass has likened the skirt to an upside-down-cupcake-wrapper. Mm-hmm. Hopefully all the fluff will be on display by the weekend.

In the meantime, I made summer pudding again. This time, no raspberries at the store, so I used a 16-oz container of strawberries (cut in quarters), the same size container of blackberries, and two 8-oz containers of blueberries, added the zest and juice of 1 lemon, and about 1/3 c. sugar. I think I ought to have cooked this a few min longer - for though I had released a fair amount of juice by the time I took the pan off the stove, it didn't soak into the bread as well, so the bread is much firmer, and, well, BREAD-tasting (as opposed to soft and cakey-fruity-tasting). It may have been in part due to using slightly dry bread.

Oh well, I'll still take this over cookies for something sweet and refreshing. I really want to try this with peaches and blackberries, or with plums. Mmm... summer holds so much possibility!

SUMMER PUDDING:

Place 8 cups berries (strawberries should be quartered, any other fruits should be cut into small chunks), the juice and zest of 1 lemon, and 1/3-1/2 c. sugar in a medium saucepan. Over medium or medium-high heat, cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent any sticking/burning, until fruit has released some of its juices and just softened a little. Turn off heat and set aside.

While berries are cooking, line a bowl or cake pan (I like to use a spring form for easy release) with two sheets of plastic wrap (make an X or a cross with the plastic). You should have a lot of overhang on four sides.

Line the bottom of the bowl/pan with a single layer of bread, pressing slices together and tearing small pieces to fit any odd spaces. (pack it tightly!) Cover this layer of bread with 1/2 of the fruit (and 1/2 of the juices) from the pan, evenly distributing over the bread. Pack down lightly. Cover the layer of fruit with another layer of bread. Cover the 2nd layer of bread with the last of the fruit (and juice). Cover the 2nd layer of fruit with one more layer of bread. Press down gently.

Wrap the overhanging plastic wrap over the top of the last layer of bread. Place a plate (that is not larger than the opening of your pan or bowl) on top of the plastic and weight. (I use two cans of beans or a big can of tomatoes from the pantry) Place in the refrigerator for 8 hours (min).

To unmold, remove the can and plate. Lift off the plastic. Invert onto a cake stand or plate and gently remove both your mold and then the plastic wrap. Slice and enjoy (all day long!)

1 comment:

thistlewitch said...

This looks so tasty... and I bet it'll be amazing with peaches and blackberries! D'you have a recipe fro summer pudding that you could pass along? I'd love to try it myself.
Can't wait to see the dress!