Monday, July 19, 2010

another sweet summer idea

from a few weeks ago: instead of making my usual strawberry & lemon curd tart, I made a strawberry & rhubarb tart. I sliced 3 or 4 stalks of rhubarb into 1/2"-thick slices and tossed them in a pan with a couple tablespoons of water and a couple tablespoons of sugar (just 2 or 3). Cook and stir over medium heat and the rhubarb basically melts down into a thick slurry. I kept cooking mine until it was quite thick (I think I also added 2 tablespoons of mochi rice flour at one point), then spread it into a tart shell I'd made and pre-baked. I allowed it to cool a bit, then topped with sliced strawberries - it was absolutely delicious.

(and because I made too much crust for my tart shell, I used a cookie cutter to cut a fleur-de-lys from the leftover dough, which I baked on foil in the oven along with the crust. Both crust and this decoration were later glazed with a bit of melted quince jam which my friend Louisa makes from quince she grows in her garden.)

No comments: