Wednesday, August 24, 2011

harvest: well, harvest.

I pulled up my young onions - and braided them, for fun! Also, I've been priming the cabinets; they're going to be painted that pale green there, on the left. I think it's going to be a big improvement on the circa-1980s shabby-chic blue cabinets with dry-brushing in white and "distressing" that was here when we moved in. Kitchen makeover will be posted later, when I'm finally done.

yellow finn potatoes, apples (stolen from an overhanging branch of a neighbour's tree - ssshh!) and the tomatoes are finally coming on: cherries, yellow pear, early girl, mr. stripey. Love those gorgeous rich ruby reds. I want to drink in all these colours for as long as I can; I don't plan to put anything in to overwinter - we're supposed to have another La Nina winter this year, and the odds are too slim that I would be able to bring anything through it. I just don't have the time or the proper equipment (cold frames) to pull it off. So, I'm enjoying the heck out of this harvest-time. It'll be awhile before there's another.

No comments: