Wednesday, June 6, 2012

harvest 2012: salmonberry jam


can you believe it's that time again already? I can't. I really can't. We had a warmer spring this year (a nice spate of several weeks of warm, actually - which doesn't sound like much for an entire spring, but for Seattle, it's quite good) and the plants got started earlier. Cass and I were up in the mountains with our in-laws on Sunday and we harvested for hours in the woods. I got 11 jars sealed and one jar open, in the fridge (so I can check the consistency - it does seem to be setting up well, a little soft, but okay) and play around with it. I feel like this would be absolutely beautiful glazing a pork roast or something. Or maybe worked into a jam cake? Midsommar is coming, after all, and the salmonberry is the closest U.S. relative to the Scandinavian cloudberry - maybe I'll make a salmonberry cake this year!

Anyway, looks like it's going to be an amazing summer! I just hope the thimbleberries are ripe *before* we go. We've found loads of good picking spots lately, and they are my favorite of all the berries. I would absolutely love to pack up some tiny jars of thimbleberry jam this year!

2 comments:

Farmgirl Susan said...

Your jam is beautiful! I've never heard of salmonberries - must go learn more about them. :)

Rod Burns said...

I'm 1/2 way through picking about 150 lbs. - yes 150 +++ of Salmonberries. The bounty gets split between bottled juice, wine and Salmonberry Butter.

Use Pamona Pectin for a far superior, low sugar jam or Salmonberry Butter. I remove the seeds with an Italian food press.

I now sell the "butter" at the country market at 7.50$ a jar - 4 oz. / 125 ml.

In the coming months, I'll pick 100 lbs. of Huckleberries and similar for Salal - oh so tasty!!!!