Tuesday, July 24, 2012

harvest: creamed peas on toast

make that "on baguette," because we didn't bother to toast the bread - we were too busy devouring this delicious concoction, which I made up on the spot to use up peas that had gone rather crazy while we were in Europe. We laughed that my friend who house sat is a total city girl - 5 feet from the deck, an organic garden is exploding with lettuce and yet there's a bag of discounted spring mix in the fridge? Maybe I'm just too lazy to go to the store; either way, we totally enjoyed the peas, which also seem to have gone untouched (though you never can tell this time of year - they start producing such crazy abundance, all at once!).

All I did here was shell peas (I had maybe 1.5 - 2 cups shelled), saute over medium heat in 1-2 Tbl. of butter, with salt and pepper to taste. I added a couple generous Tbl. of chopped marjoram (also from the garden) to give it a bit of depth and complexity, and as the peas started to cook through and soften, I smashed some of them with a fork. Just as the colour was turning from bright green to a slightly more muted/olive tone, I poured in maybe a quarter to a half-cup of half & half. I continued to saute until the liquid was almost entirely cooked off, then scooped the peas and sauce into a bowl, and we spooned it onto baguette slices.

Seriously, this was SO good! If you've still got peas (though I can't imagine anyone has still got peas coming on - suffice to say, the PacNW is still struggling to get up to 70 degrees Fahrenheit in the afternoon; I feel for all of you sweltering in 100-degree-heat!), or if you will have another round coming in the autumn, give this a go. Simple and delicious!

No comments: