Wednesday, February 12, 2014

marmalade season


And then there was more marmalade; this is actually only about half or two-thirds of the generous batch of Seville orange marmalade I made this year. I use Martha Stewart's recipe - it's a classic, even she says so! - except I add two whole vanilla beans to the mix while I cook it (I scrape the seeds in AND throw in the pods; just take the pods out before canning). The vanilla gives a nice sweetness to balance and tame the sharpness of the bitter oranges. I love this marmalade. Nothing comes close to the depth of flavor. Oh, don't get me wrong, the bergamot marmalade is heavenly perfume in a jar, but it's not what I think of when I think of classic orange marmalade. And now I have a big stock to greedily hoard (just kidding; I'll share) and enjoy all year, until next winter - and the next crop of oranges.

No comments: