Wednesday, May 28, 2014

project 52:35


nail polish on watercolor paper

Yeah, that's right. Nail polish. I'd been wanting to try this nail polish marbling technique that I'd been reading about on the interwebs and by this point in the project, I was looking forward to an "easy" week for a change, something that might not be quite so time consuming, demanding of energy and focus. I admit it: I slacked. A bit.

The nail polish tutorial is a nightmare. I don't think I'll be doing it again. The smell is crazy, I struggled to get any kind of control over the nail polish - and when the tutorials tell you you have "seconds," as in, perhaps you might have two full seconds in order to pour AND swirl the nail polish, they are lying through their teeth! Or - more likely - I just never hit the "sweet spot" in terms of the water temp. Or maybe I don't have the right kind of polish for this. Needless to say, it was not quite so easy nor so quick as I'd hoped. But I did end up with a big fistful of crazy marbleized cards, and I've already turned one into a bizarre thank-you note, which I'll share here in a few days. This was my favorite one, above, so of course it was the one I sent.

I have some flowers and recipes to share with you before the week is out, too! The generous season is upon us and I already feel like I'm struggling to keep up with everything. I started my first batch (who knows? I might do more than one this year) of candied angelica today, too. I was surprised how much I enjoyed getting to be around the scent of that plant again. It's definitely a favorite!

No comments: