Monday, February 15, 2016

a quiet working day


Today is President's Day and I have the day off from work. I wish it were sunny out; I'd love to be playing in the garden - but this sunset photo is from a week ago, and right now the rain is falling in a steady gray mist. In fact, it's so sodden that we can't actually work on our garden projects because we can't properly tamp sand nor level the squishy wet ground to build retaining walls for our new garden or work on setting a paver path around our kubb pitch.

But it's not the end of the world; I have plenty of pleasant indoor tasks to do: tidying and cleaning and washing and scrubbing and ... stitching.


I'm trying my hand at Elizabeth Hartman's Fancy Fox quilt - a gift for friends. I love these pretty pinky-peachy-corals for a pretty little fox blanket; those cheerful florals would brighten up a much darker day than this! There's quite a bit of fussy cutting and stitching and recutting that goes into each of these blocks, but as I've got my strips all cut, I'm hoping it won't take me too long to get all forty-two fox faces made. It is delightful to see them come together!