Saturday, February 20, 2016

cut and paste


For some reason, whenever I'm designing something, I still find it easier to break out the trace and do things by hand, literally cutting and pasting - as I'm doing here, cutting apart an old (public domain) fox engraving (whose linework I'd simplified) to morph it to fit to the curve of my shoulder for a new tattoo design. After taping it down, I taped down a fresh sheet of trace and redrew the fox with its new, longer body. Then I laid another sheet over that to start mapping out the curves of the rest of the design component - and so on. Despite the amazing digital tools at our disposal, I just don't feel like I'm in control of what I'm working on unless I can literally, physically, tangibly handle the thing.

And yes, there is kind of a coincidental fox theme happening here right now!

No comments: