Saturday, May 21, 2016

grandmother's coffee cake - tweaked


I keep forgetting to write down this recipe, and having to call my mother at all hours of the day and night to get it - again! I've finally put it down in a little recipe book, but I wanted to post it here, too, so I can find it easily when I need it next. Here's the family version, with some notes at the end on how I change it up these days (hint: it's vegan).

Blueberry Coffee Cake

For Crumb Mixture

  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. sifted flour
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 c. soft butter
For Cake

  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. soft butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 2 c. sifted flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 c. blueberries


Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Butter and flour a 9" square pan

Make crumb mixture: combine dry ingredients, then mix in butter until evenly combined. Set aside.

Make cake: mix together sugar, butter, and egg in a large bowl. Stir in milk.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in blueberries.

Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over top of cake.

Bake, 45-50 min or until tester inserted in center comes out clean.

-------

My substitutions:
Use coconut oil for the soft butter in both crumb mixture and cake.
Use egg replacer for the egg.
Reduce sugar in cake to 1/3 cup.
Substitute 2 c. homemade blackcurrant preserves or fresh or frozen huckleberries (in this cake, I used 1 c. blackcurrant preserves and 1 c. frozen huckleberries).
You may need to bake for an extra 5=7 minutes if using frozen berries or preserves.

1 comment:

Milla Bear said...

You're so on point about worrying here, but all I could think of was the delicious curry. Just kidding! Thank you for this post, here's to unwinding <3