Saturday, July 2, 2011

foraged treats

last week we went to Discovery Park, walked the trails down to the lighthouse, collecting salmon berries along the way. One of the things I love about summer is having time to let my mind wander and think about things other than school, curriculum, papers, etc.. As we picked, I told Cass, "these would be good with sage - and maybe, lavender." So I made a salmonberry tart with a sage custard and an almond and lavender crust. I made a glaze for the salmonberries by melting the last of my cloudberry preserves (from ikea; cloudberries and salmonberries are close relatives).

Turned out pretty good. I basically used the recipe for my fig/sweet potato/blueberry tart, substituting almonds for the cornmeal in the crust, and made the custard from 2c. heavy whipping cream and 2 sprigs of sage, chopped (bring the cream to a simmer over medium heat and then turn off heat and infuse about 2 hours, strain out sage, whisk cream with 2 eggs and approx 1/2 c. sugar, pour into parbaked tart shell and bake). Refrigerate for several hours, then top with berries and brush with melted jam and chill again another hour or two.

No comments: